Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Remembering A King : A Tribute to a Filipino Icon


























July 10, 2012 in the evening, I was already in the office. This is the first time I went in since I got absent last Thursday. I was sick over the weekend. An office buddy of mine told me something I couldn't believe. "Dolphy is dead". I know death comes to all of us, but I never expected him to go. At least not yet because of the news that he is recovering and he is responding well to the treatment. As I'm writing this, I still I can't believe he is gone.

I grew up watching his films. I enjoy his films more than I do FPJ's. Don't get me wrong, I still idolize the Action King in terms of sheer body count as I do Chuck Norris, but I look up to Dolphy especially on his dispositions in dealing with troubles in life. I learned that a teaspoon of humor can get you through even the roughest days. When I'm in a pinch and I'm about to panic,I tell myself a joke and laugh my ass off so I can be in my normal mode again.

Men like these who seek fulfillment by watching people smile and laugh and happy should be set as role models. Unlike people in politics who are overly serious w/ cutthroat dispositions who only have 1 thing governing their psychology: greed. Even if he was famous, He never ventured into politics to take advantage of it.

I grew up watching his films and sitcoms. I was a fan of John en Marsha, Home Along da Riles, the RVQ Films he had, even the ones in black and white. He was an all-around entertainer. He can tap dance, he acts well, he does serious scenes well, his films stress on Filipino values like respect for elders and unconditional love among other things. I watched him influence the people he worked with. I saw how his "kids" in his sitcoms became mature and take on different responsibilities as parents, leaders in the media industry and even in politics. (And yes folks, this includes Claudine even after the Tulfo Incident, she is a great mom after all.. hehehehehe).

I can go on and on ranting about how I idolize this man. This single man who brings multiple funny memories of childhood. I cried, I laughed and laughed till I cried on his films. If there was a Val Halla for comedians, He will be there with rest of his crew. Panchito, Palito, Balut, Pugak, Tugak, Chichay, Ike Lozada and all the great comedians of our time. You will be missed, as an entertainer, indirect mentor and source of strength. Yet your legacy will remain, as long as there lives those that witnessed your greatness, that shared the laughter you cracked a joke for. We shall tell our children and our children's children of your tenacity, and all out love for comedy.

P.S. IDOL KO SI PIDOL.

No comments: